Skip to navigation
Skip to content
Thacher Island Association
This unique 1906 photo shows the 315-foot walkway, the oil house and keeper house as well as Thacher Island’s twin lights in the distance.
Aerial of the 31 acre Straitsmouth Island located off the coast of Rockport, MA.
Keeper house during restoration of the new roof in 2011.
The three key structures that encompass the Straitsmouth Island Light Station, the keeper house, oil house and lighthouse.
The 35 foot tall lighthouse was totally renovated in 2013.
Thacher Island stands about a mile to the south of Straitsmouth Island.
The keeper house before restoration began in 2011.
Granite sloop Albert Baldwin sailing through the “gap” in 1920. Boat house on the right built in 1867 and eliminated in 1937.
This 37 foot cylindrical brick tower replaced the 1851 tower in 1896 and still stands today.
The entry house to the tower was destroyed by the “Perfect Storm” in 1991 and never replaced
The light and fog signal was automated in 1990 using solar panels for power.
Facts about Straitsmouth Island Light Station
Drag the arrow left or right
First lighthouse was established in 1835 to mark the entrance to Rockport Harbor.
The lighthouse was rebuilt in 1851 and again in 1896.
A 6th order Fresnel lens was installed in the lantern in 1857.
The current Victorian styled keeper house was built in 1878 similar to the one on Thacher Island.
In 1932 the light was converted from white to green.
Coast Guard moved the station to shore at Gap Head and sold the island to private parties in 1934.
Coast Guard continues to maintain the light as an official aid to navigation today. In 1967 the island (except for the lighthouse) was donated it to Massachusetts Audubon Society who maintains it as a wildlife sanctuary.
Straitsmouth Island was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
In 2010 the lighthouse and 1.8 acres of land was given to the Town of Rockport by the coast guard.
In 2014 the Town of Rockport signed a long term 30 year lease with Mass Audubon for the use of the keeper and oil houses.